Tweetbot for Mac is an alternative Twitter client for OS X. The Alpha version was free to download but this final stable release costs $19.99 from the Mac App Store. With some features not offered in the official Twitter app, Tweetbot for Mac is ideal for heavy Twitter users.
The interface is clean and simple, with nine buttons on the side to view your Timeline, Mentions, Direct Messages, Favorites, Search, Profile, Lists, Retweets by Others and the excellent Mute Filters.
Currently the preferences button is inactive, but you can find preferences on the menu bar. Support for multiple accounts can also be found here.
You can have multiple Timelines in Tweetbot. Create lists, and you can alternate between your full timeline and tweets from your more focused lists. This is the first way Tweetbot lets you cut down on noise from Twitter when you want.
The second is via the Mute Filters tab. This lets you add filters to your general timeline. Tired of tweets about #romney2012? Simply add that to Mute Filters and you'll only hear about it if it's included in a mention of you.
We had no stability problems with Tweetbot, but it's always worth remembering that programs in alpha phase may have bugs, and there is no technical support from the developers.
If you're looking to freshen up your Twitter experience on OS X, or want to cut out annoying noise, check out Tweetbot.
- Brief Highlights:
- Multiple Timelines. Quickly switch between your lists as your main timeline.
- Multiple Windows and Columns. Display timelines from different accounts side by side.
- Notification Center Support.
- Beautiful Retina graphics.
- Mute filters lets you block messages from users without unfollowing them. You can also mute hashtags and specific keywords.
- Sync timeline position, direct message read statuses and mute filters between your Mac, iPhone and iPad via iCloud.
- Support for multiple services like Pocket, Instapaper, Readability, CloudApp and Droplr.
- Save drafts, add locations and POI's, attach photos/videos, manage your lists, and much more.
- 1.0.1 Update:
- added support for Reading list as a Read Later service (10.8+ only)?
- added jk navigation support in timeline?
- added ability to disable Streaming in Preferences?
- improved keyboard support in people searcher?
- fixed an issue where timeline would scroll down to tweets that were already read?
- fixed streaming on accounts with > 1500 followers?
- fixed many other reported issues and crashers